Saturday, July 17, 2010

Stone Mountain, Georgia

 IMG_1260

 Stone Mountain Georgia camping 6-15 to 6-21 2008 020Stone_mountain_closeup_mosaic_crop

 

 

 

 

Jack and I spent the day at Stone Mountain in Atlanta.  The carving is a memorial to Confederate President Jefferson Davis, General Robert E. Lee, and General Stonewall Jackson.  The carving is bigger than the carvings at Mount Rushmore.

We took a skyride to the top and enjoyed the view.  When back at the bottom, we walked around and saw some glass blowing and a candy shop.  It started to rain a bit and we walked through a self guided walking tour of the plantation buildings.

It is surprisingly humid here (only because I am so used to Phoenix’s dry dry heat), but it cools off at night and has such a nice breeze.

What a fun trip!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I am so glad you could go and spend time together at Stone Mountain. Your pictures turned out great. I have Stone Mountain and Mt Rushmore on my "want to travel and see" list.

Michael said...

Looks like you had a great time. What surprised me when I visited Stone Mountain was how revered the Confederate heroes are in the South.